I woke up this morning with a song in my heart, rather lines from a song called “He will Hold me Fast”. It’s a modern Hymn from Keith and Krystn Getty. The first line of the song says “When I fear my faith will fail, Christ will hold me fast”. I believe almost every Christian at some point has struggled with the idea of our faith failing us, especially in recent times where many people we look up to have denounced the faith. Sometimes even the battle against sin and flesh seems so big that we can’t possibly ever see ourselves coming out as conquers. And sometimes even the desires of our hearts let us down, we end up desiring and delighting things that are contrary to our profession of faith.
I believe the words in this song are true, when we fear that our faith is failing, Christ will hold us fast. I believe they are true because of what scripture says.
First of all, my profession of faith was not my own, God is the one who cause the dead heart to beat again. As Ephesians 2:5 says “even when we were dead in our trespasses, (God) made us alive together with Christ- by grace you have been saved.” God himself made us alive, he gave us power to believe in Jesus, even our very faith is a gift from God.
Because of this we can’t place our hope in our own abilities because if they haven’t failed you yet, eventually they will faith. Our hope and trust should be in Christ alone and his finished work.
Our hope is in Christ because he is able to fulfill all that he has promised. And what has he promised us? He has said in his word that He;
1. John 6:37-40, He will not lose any of the ones that the father gave to him, he will sustain them and raise them up on the last day.
2. John 10:28-29, He GIVES us eternal life and NO ONE (not even ourselves) get snatch us out of His hands.
3. Romans 8:34-39. Nothing can separate us from God, not even trials and tribulations or even suffering and persecution nothing can separate us from God’s love through Christ Jesus.
4. Philippians 1:6- We love to quote this verse, and it is true that He who began the work of salvation in us will be faithful to bring it to completion!!
5. 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24. God will sanctify us and keep us Holy and Blameless till the coming of His son Jesus.
6. 2 Timothy 2: 13, “If we are faithless, he remains faithful”, in this context even when our faith temporarily fails, He remains faithful. And this says is trustworthy (verse 21).
The fact that God will preserve the saints, and work in us to help us to persevere should be an encouragement for us when we are suffering and going through different trials and tribulations and the battles against sin that sometimes seem like we are losing. Dear brothers and sister when you feel like your faith is failing, Christ will hold you fast.
God doesn’t promise us that this world is will be without suffering, in fact scriptures say suffering will come (1 Peter 4:12), but let us consider it pure joy and rejoice even when we struggle because we know the one who saved us is able to keep us and sustain us until the very last day. Even when we fail He never fails, He is faithful.
“Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.”*
Grace and Peace,